Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Love, Marilyn

I can honestly say that I have always been a bandwagon fan of Marilyn Monroe. I have a good friend that loves her, so when HBO advertised that they were showing a documentary about her I decided to watch it as well.  There is a lot more to this woman than people realized, than I realized. She was a deep, passionate, very dedicated to becoming a good actress, and very .... lonely. It's so sad to see a woman who wanted so much to be a good actress and to be loved and taken seriously, to only feel alone and not even truly loved by a man that she loved so much. As I listened to her words, it made me think how brave it was for her to put it all out there, even though it was only for her personal reflection and perhaps a sense of release. I hold back... even with myself. I am afraid to put myself out there in anyway at all, and I envy that she was able to do that. She was unapologetic about who she was and things that she did that caused a stir. How can you not admire a person for owning who they were? And she OWNED it! 


The documentary is shot with current actors/actresses, authors and other people who knew her or had input on her life either reading her journals or her poetry or revisiting events in her life. Hearing her words are so powerful and gut wrenching. Having these actresses say her words out loud, it makes you really feel her emotions. The words really make you feel the emotion along with her... it's almost like you become her. Marisa Tomei is one of the actresses who is reading Marilyn's letters and she does a GREAT job of emulating the tone of the letters with her actions and her voice, her delivery. Jennifer Ehle, who looks like Meryl Streep to me, also did an awesome job of bringing her words to life. Glenn Close, Evan Rachel Wood, Elizabeth Banks, Uma Thurman and Viola Davis also lent their voices and talents to Marilyn's writings. Marilyn was an inspiration for so many of our current actresses and paved the ways for many of today's celebrities. Lady Gaga and Madonna are among those who have tried to replicate her sex appeal. (Hello.. Madonna Material Girl?!?!?)

It's so tragic how these movie stars long to be accepted and loved and how they end up feeling so lonely when they are surrounded by so many people. But the sad truth is that they don't know who they can trust. And while there are times I envy their pocketbooks, I do not envy their relationships. How can you tell when you have genuine and authentic people in your lives when you are in the spotlight? It seems that all Marilyn wanted was to be a wonderful actress, to be loved and to be accepted, even though she couldn't accept herself. The more the movie went on, the more sadness you could see in her eyes as her words filled the screen. Even through the screen I almost got a sense of the loneliness she felt. 

While the movie was playing in the background, I was googling her name and quotes. I also took to Amazon to see about the books that were referenced in the movie. I have become more interested in historical fiction after reading Hemingway's Girl by Erika Robuck. It was just a good story and the fact that it centered around an actual person made it all the more interesting. I would like to say that I will read a book or two maybe, if I am being extremely optimistic, about Marilyn Monroe. I am considering My Week with Marilyn, which is also a movie, to start with and go from there. 


It's absolutely crazy to think that she was only 3 years older than me when she died. What could she have become? How could her legacy have changed? Would she have been able to fulfill her dream and become the great actress that she wanted, and so desperately tried, to be? What would have happened had she gotten the help she truly needed, and deserved? Would she have had children? 

Sadly these are all questions that will have to go unanswered and we will forever be haunted by her unfinished legacy. After watching this movie I can definitely say that I am an admirer. She was quite a woman. 

Are there any Hollywood icons you admire? 


No comments:

Post a Comment