Wednesday, February 20, 2013

One year ago....

One year ago this month I was let go from my job as a legal assistant for a family law attorney. 

It was the BEST thing that could have ever happened to me. That job was draining me. I didn't believe in what we were doing and I didn't care for the way that she was practicing or the way she was treating her associate and myself. She worked from home 90% of the time and didn't always help the clients the way that it seemed she should. She would also make me lie to clients and I was uncomfortable with that as well. All in all, I was disenfranchised with the whole idea of what the law stands for and represents. Its not fair. I do not feel that it provides justice for the victims, at least not for the people that we were representing, people getting divorced. It's all a matter of interpretation, or manipulation, and the lawyers job is to present their idea of what this certain law is saying. Now don't get me wrong the law did work in our favor sometimes, but not always. Such is life though. And it was getting to me. Seeing people come in and tear apart families and 20 year marriages, just got to be so disheartening. I became jaded and well, I am a romantic. Bottom line is that it wasn't the right place for me to be.   

I didn't go back to work right away. I stayed unemployed for about 3 months and it was also one of the best things I could have done for myself. It was a good mental and physical break. I hadn't stopped since dad passed away. And I was in such a negative place with that job that I had fallen into a depression of sorts. So the time off was necessary. While I was unemployed, I wanted to find something to do to make it so that I could work from home. But I don't have a strong enough passion for anything to make a living working from home. So I went back to work. And to be honest I didn't go on a lot of interviews. Only one! 

That's right... 1! 

And I got the job!! 

Now.... I am so happy. 

I love where I work and for the most part, I really like the people I work with. I went from one extreme to another ... leaving the legal field and entering the medical field was like night and day. And now I can't imagine it any other way. I have been there about 9 months and I am going to be getting a new position already. YAY!! And while my previous employer was good to me in some ways, these people are good to me in other ways. They have had an employee appreciation week since I have been there, we all received gift cards at Thanksgiving and Christmas and for Valentine's day we were provided with pizza and other goodies. And now they are offering an employee of the month program where you get $100 and your name is put in a pool to win a cruise for 2 at the end of the year. Plus there is room for growth. Can't say the same about the other place. 

A year can bring a lot of changes, both good and bad, and I have to say that this year has proven to be nothing but good things! What changes have you seen in the past year? Were they good or bad??



No comments:

Post a Comment