Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tis the Season

It's that time of year again. The holidays are upon us and the retailers are shoving Christmas down our throats. Is it just me or does this occurrence seem to be happening earlier and earlier each year?? I feel like the millisecond that Halloween is over, the retailers feel entitled to commence with the gleaming lights and colored garlands and to have Bing Crosby crooning away over their speakers. 

It seems as though when the orange and black of Halloween is put away or on clearance, we are subjected to red and green decor and "jingle bells". Now, don't get me wrong, this is my favorite time of year, but that doesn't mean I want it to be thrust upon me. I want it to go slow. I want to drink it all in. I love the change of the weather and the tradition that comes only during this time of year. I love that shopping centers are now decked out with white lights, it adds a sense of class to the area. It also sets the mood I believe. It seems to awaken the child within me, and I would hope it would do that same for all adults.


We need to stop rushing.

We need to slow down. 

We need to enjoy and embrace the holidays and the memories that will be created and can't be recreated.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and there are stores open. This bothers me to no end.

We are slowly edging out the holiday. When will stop? Have people forgotten what Thanksgiving is about? It's to show thanks for all that we have and to take time and spend it with family. It's not about going to Kmart or Target to get the best deals. What's wrong with keeping that all for Black Friday? It's there for a reason. I mean what do you need SOOOO badly that you are willing to sacrifice your time sitting outside of a store for DAYS before it opens?? What are you missing out on? Consumers and the public have put too much emphasis on the material things in their lives and not the people. Material objects can be replaced, but people can't. What's an even more frustrating realization is that if we the consumer didn't demand that these retailers do this, there would be no need for them to be open on Thanksgiving. We are setting the precedent.
I do not believe that people need to be working on the holiday, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. And a department store being open is not necessary, a hospital however is 100%  necessary. We are taking people away from their families needlessly. Have some compassion. Would you want to work on the holiday???

So as a consumer I am REFUSING to step foot into a store on Thanksgiving. If I miss the best deal ever, well then so be it. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this!!! Why would you spend your thanksgiving camped out in a tent buying stuff for your family when you could be with them instead???

    ReplyDelete