Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gluten Free is the Way to Be!!!

The latest "fad" way to get healthy is to go gluten free

While some people may believe that going gluten free is a way to lose weight, I believe that it is a way to change the way you feel. 

I have recently discovered that I have to do the gluten free thing. And this didn't come as a diagnosis from a doctor or a decision to jump on the gluten free bandwagon. I did research based on my autoimmune disease, Grave's Disease, and discovered that it is believed that omitting gluten from my diet would affect the way I feel and could inadvertently affect my medicine and my entire body. If the gluten is giving me issues and causing my digestion to be off then that could affect the way that my hormone replacement is absorbed. If it isn't getting absorbed properly than I won't feel good ... see how this works?? 

So I have self diagnosed myself as being gluten intolerant... I know it's not something that would be advised by a doctor, but let's face it, we know our bodies better than doctors do. And it isn't a bad thing to trust your instincts. 


Going gluten free is not the easiest thing to do in the world. You basically have to walk away from all bread, pasta, baked goods, and things you would never suspect like imitation crab meat. There are plenty of foods that you can eat and are perfectly gluten friendly, but at times it can feel like you can't eat anything!  This lifestyle changes forces you to pay more attention to what you are eating and putting into your body. You really need to read the labels and pay attention to all the ingredients. For those people you absolutely can NOT have gluten, Celiacs, they have to completely abstain from any thing that could have possibly touched anything that would have had wheat, barley, or rye in them. The smallest hint of wheat can cause problems for a Celiac. It isn't pretty. I digress, the gluten free way of life forces you to create a more natural diet. 

Above are some of the food items that a gluten intolerant/Celiac person can enjoy. I LOVE the Lara Bars. I have the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor pictured above, but there are a variety of flavors to choose from and though I haven't tried them all I can assume they are all equally delicious. 

Bob's Red Mill Organic quinoa, pronounced keen-wa, is DELICIOUS and SOOO versatile. My favorite way to eat it right now is with tomato, avocado, olive oil, garlic and balsalmic vinegar. It's delicious. I need to broaden my horizons and try out more recipes. 

This is also the first time that I have purchased the Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. I am anxious to try it. I have tried the Pasta Joy brand pasta, which is a brown rice pasta, and it's good and you can't really taste a difference between that and normal pasta, there is a difference. 

The real challenge lies in eating out... What a fricking ridiculous fiasco that is. I love... LOVE fried calamari at Olive Garden, and guess what?? Can't have it anymore. The fact is that there is no way of knowing if there is gluten in any of the items on the menu. Slowly but surely there are more restaurants coming around and offering gluten free items on the menu. For the most part the gluten free items consist of all non-pasta dishes and no sandwiches. Jason's Deli offers sandwiches with gluten free bread... and it wasn't horrible. But try to buy bread in the grocery store... $8.00! 

Oy vey is it expensive to eat clean, healthy and gluten free. It's such a hard thing to do, change the way you eat, basically live, completely. 

Walking away from things you love and enjoy is never easy. You need to have incredible will power..and faith. It's hard at times when people around you are eating the delicious goodies that you can't, it makes it that much more difficult. 

But life it ain't easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment