Sunday, August 5, 2012

Chicken, Beef and Fish... OH MY

Animal protein is the devil....well according to some people it is, or can be. 

I recently watched the movie "Forks Over Knives", a documentary on the way people eat and basically the evilness of dairy and animal proteins. 


The movie states that years and years of research has linked animal protein to multiple incidents of cancer and other life threatening conditions. It is the theory of the doctors in this film that a whole foods based diet can elongate your life and alleviate many health issues that are plaguing millions of people around the world. The movie was educational and insightful. I am a little ovewhelmed by the amount of knowledge I received watching the movie, but I am also eager to implement some of the behaviors they suggested in the movie. So many things surprised me and made me realize that I am not food smart. 

We are introduced to several people in the movie with different health conditions. They start the film on multiple medications and by the end of the film, with the help of the doctors and their guidance for a whole foods diet they are now no longer popping multiple pills or pricking themselves with needles. Shouldn't that be everyone's goal? Not to HAVE to take a pill to prolong your life. I mean look at ALL the health issues that we have developed over the last century or so.. ADHD, Diabetes, Thyroid imbalances, Autism, and multiple different heart related conditions not to mention the slew of food allergens that are out there now... gluten allergies, casein allergies, MSG, red dyes... and the list goes on and on and ON! How can we NOT see the connection between these health concerns and the processed foods that we are now dependent on??


"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease."
Thomas Edison (1847 - 1931)

The more that I have learned about my own health lately the more I tend to agree with the direction of this movie... to some extent. I am not sure about their view on animal protein, but I will agree that a whole food based diet is definitely something we as people should seriously consider. Firefighter has a coworker that has been actively participating in this way of eating and in a year has managed to drop 80 plus pounds. WOW! Having seen his results Firefighter has become a little more interested in some of the views of this way of living. I don't know that he would ever be able to cut out the animal meat all together, I don't know that I will be able to do that either for that matter, but even taking the small steps that he is, it will have an impact. I am glad for this change of perspective from him, even though it wasn't me who opened his eyes to it, but nonetheless he is changing and that is good! I worry about him and the crap he eats while at work, but now is not the time for that topic to be addressed. 

Of course there were people who offered opposing view points in the movie, what would a documentary be without that, but I listen to them and I wonder ... how much are you being paid, and by whom, for your "opinion"? One of the patient's in the movie, who had managed to get her Diabetes so under control she didn't need the meds anymore, went to her physician to get permission to stop taking the medication and her doctor seemed surprised that the patient wanted off the meds. Are you serious? Shouldn't a doctor be promoting a healthier lifestyle so that you don't have to BE on meds?

The way we eat is a real hot button issue right now. And I could go on and on, but for now I will refrain. There are so many facets on this that could be addressed... but where to begin.




No comments:

Post a Comment