Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Cost of Being in the Bridal Party

Firefighter and I were blessed with the privilege of being asked to be in our friends, Engineer and Bartender's, wedding this coming April. This will be the first wedding that we will be in together. I am looking forward to that. 

It's been fun discussing the details of the wedding with the bride and offering suggestive input. We have surprisingly very similar taste, it's uncanny!! 

The one thing I don't like is what this is costing us. It hasn't been cheap. 

We have each had to each pay for our own attire. I get to keep my dress, however, Firefighter is only renting his tux and shoes. I have to still purchase shoes, and get nails and hair done and all that jazz! And we have each had to pay for cruises and our expenses on board...  and a bridal shower gift as well.

Oy... the affliction that my bank account has suffered.

This experience has all made me start to think about my own wedding. I am seriously considering not having a bridal party. Either that or I am going to reconsider their attire. Adding to my concern about the cost of wedding parties, I have been watching "Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids" and it makes me want to throttle those women on the show. But it also makes the process look and sound so tedious and overwhelming. Granted I am sure some of that nonsense on there is staged, but I believe a bit of it is realistic.

Then there is the respective bachelor and bachelorette parties to consider. Firefighter already knows that he wants a cruise, but I am pretty certain that I am not going to go down that path. While I am not sure exactly what I want to do for my bachelorette party, I don't feel that it's appropriate to ask my ladies to pay for a cruise on top of paying for the dress, the shoes, etc.

I know I should focus on the joy of being apart of my friends day, rather then the cost of the weeding. But I also acknowledge that I am not loaded and I should be concerned about the cost of being in the wedding. I feel that the cost of being in a wedding has risen, and that is due to the rising trend of weddings becoming more important than the marriage. I want a nice wedding, don't get me wrong, but I also know that where I get married and the flowers I have do not matter in the grand scheme of things. You need to be as concerned about making the marriage a success as you are about making the wedding day a success.

In the end, once the day comes and goes, I will remember the good times that we had and the cost of being in the wedding will not even be in the front of my mind. I may be too drunk to remember how much I spent.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't have a bachelorette party. I didn't want a whole lot of fuss and I felt that my bridal shower was enough. Yes, weddings are expensive for the bride and anyone it it. Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete