Sunday, October 2, 2011

Stream of Consciousness Sunday: Unknown Expectations


I have been meaning to start linking back up for weeks now.... and today I did it! YAY!!!!!!

I put people on pedestals... why do I do that? I make people I like out to be these perfect humans that never make mistakes. They also judge everything I do...or at least that is what I fear. This has proven to be somewhat of an issue for me because I tend to censor what I say and things that I do in front of certain people, because I don't want look stupid or have them see me in any kind of negative light. When these people do things that I find to be wrong or strange, it really shakes my whole perception of them to the core. Why do I do this? I know no one is perfect and I know that it's not the best thing to put people on pedestals... how can I expect them to live up to unknown expectations? It's not fair. Plus they do not have to do anything to please me. They do not have to live by my expectations. I often find that the people I do this too, are the people that I would most  like to emulate in my life in some way or they have qualities I wish I possessed. I need to just realize that we are all different and that while there are things about them I would like to have, there are things about them, that I am sure I would not like, things that I don't see. No one is perfect no matter how hard people try to will others into perfection. And I know what it's like to be put on a pedestal... I have a friend that had me on one, and let me just say it isn't fair to do that to someone. I have flaws and I have a hard enough time pleasing my parents, and myself, let alone a friend. Of course there are a few expectations that friends can have of each other that like returning phone calls and being there when you need them... but there needs to be room for error... we are humans, we make mistakes. 

*********************************************************************************
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
  • Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
  • Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
  • Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
  • Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
  • Link up your post below.
  • Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, that's tough. I try hard to live me life without expectation (which is near impossible) but I try. That way when people do nice thoughtful things I am pleasantly surprised and get a nice warm fuzzy feeling.
    It does say that you are a good person though if you do always think the best in people. Try not to beat yourself up about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just said what a lot of us do. If we didn't recognize in others what we don't like, we might not have been able to see what the best ways to go about our own lives.

    We all get upset, but it's important to watch out for the reactions that follow.

    Good read.

    ReplyDelete