Friday, October 28, 2011

A Lesson Learned

I decided to go back to school this semester and decided that taking online classes would be the best thing for me since I work a full time job. 

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING??? 

I am definitely one of those people that benefits from the "in the classroom" experience. Especially considering the classes that I decided to take... 

International Relations ... via a virtual class... seriously dumb idea on this girl's part. I have a hard enough time following basic politics, let alone Foreign issues... forget about it. It's all so confusing. I read the book but the material goes over my head a little and makes me feel like my brain is mush. And I want to understand what is going on in the world and the issues and all that jazz! I do have to admit that I like the way that the teacher has set the class up online. Every Monday at noon the test is due or the posts for the discussion boards are due then. There is a consistency. AND... I have to write a paper that is 12-15 pages...double spaced. It sounds so scary! We had to pick a topic that involves international issues. I decided on immgration and NAFTA. Immigration is something that i have a strong opinion about so I think it will be a more fruitful venture for me.

Intro to Environmental Studies...not so complicated...however, I do not care for how the teacher has the class set up. There is no set day for things to be done.  One thing that has infuriated me is the fact that the professor made it mandatory to have a textbook, but I haven't touched it once! He uses power points and prepared notes. But the schedule isn't set. You literally have to log onto the virtual classroom EVERY SINGLE DAY to make sure that you do not miss anything. And what is more frustrating is that he doesn't pre-post deadlines. ARGH! AND... I have to write a paper for this class as well. The teacher gave us a list of topics to choose from on this one, and I chose smoking/non-smoking and the effects on the body. It's turned out to be interesting considering mom smoked, dad smoked and we have friends that smoke. Reading about emphysema and COPD is really hitting home, considering that part of dad's health issues were linked to smoking. 

But I digress... 

Next semester I plan on taking classes that will be IN THE CLASSROOM! I need that interaction with the teacher and the feedback and opinions of the other students. I have registered for a class called Religion in America. It sounds really interesting, and considering that I am not a religious person, it should be interesting. But I think that is part of the reason that I want to take it. Maybe it will help me to get in touch with a part of me that I haven't been in touch with for years. 

Anyway - I am glad that I made the decision to go back to school. It's definitely challenging me, in good and bad ways. It's forcing me to use my brain and parts of it that I haven't used in a long time. I use my brain on a daily basis, but it's become such monotonous crap that it doesn't seem to be too challenging, not to mention that I don't care to really expend my brain power on the subject of my job. It's not something that I want to understand. 

I know it will all pay off in the end...even though I have my moments when I am frustrated and wanting to pull my hair out. I want to to be an educated person and I so enjoy learning! 

1 comment:

  1. I did one partial on line and one fully online class this semester. I too get a lot out of classroom lecture but it's EXHAUSTING! My class is 3 hours long and I don't get out until 950. Next semester is all online; even though I don't know how much i'm really learning. I too am glad to be taking classes I'm interested in. Makes me feel productive. Good luck with the rest of your semester.

    ReplyDelete