Sunday, June 26, 2011

Stream of Consciousness Sunday - Biz Ideas


I have so many ideas floating around in my head about things I want to do so i can work for myself. i have ideas about all different kinds of things i could do. open a restaurant, start an even planning business, a photography business, etc. but i also want to go back to school. oy vey! how do i get myself into these situations. why can't i just make up my mind about what it is i want to do with my life. i have a thirst for knowledge and i think that is a large part of my wanting to continue onto school, because truth be told i have no one passion no one main focus that i want to focus on. i want to be a teacher, a writer, a psychologist, and a journalist. it is crazy how all over the place i am with that. it is something to be admired when someone knows exactly what their purpose is in life. i still feel like i have yet to find mine. i do know that i would much rather work for myself. i don't like having to answer to anyone about anything. how do i choose what to do? i guess it would be to go with something i am good at but i don't really feel that i am good at any one particular thing, but rather several things. any suggetsions?!?! i am looking into the local community college to finish up my AA (this is troublesome to me) and then go from there. i was hooked on the teacher thing for a while but the local economy has made me hesitant. i just wish i had more confidence in what it is i wanted to do with my life. 
*****                                       *****                                      *****                              *****

This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
  • Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
  • Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.
  • Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
  • Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
  • Link up your post below.
  • Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

11 comments:

  1. Maybe incorporate several things into one? Like do photography and also teach? And while you might be good at several things, it might help to really hone one skill above the rest?

    Hope you find a happy medium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh lady, I hear ya! This is me too. all the way. And people tell me to just pick one and focus on that, but how do you pick just one? I keep dabbling and learning and honing my skills and I hope that my OneTruePassion will be revealed, but I suspect that I will find that I have ManyTinyPassions.
    I always hate the question of "what's your dream job" because I have several...picking only one feels like turning my back on potential.

    SOC Sunday Link :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you, so really the only thing I can say is maybe make some lists! Right down the things you are interested in and pro and con it? If you are a woman of faith, spend some time seriously praying about it. Be happy, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have this list ... everybody has one and it's amazing how much this list changes over the years.

    As for a dream job ... I landed in mine. On accident. I didn't know what I was looking for or what my dream job even was. Until I found it.

    I went to college for social work and psychology, after changing major's five times. Then, I worked as a social worker for a few years until I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I went to school and got my masters and then was a preschool teacher. I loved the kids but hated the program I was working for.

    Life finally gave me the push in the "right" direction I was waiting for.

    Things happened, I hated that job even more and I needed to leave. I applied for every job I came across until finally, I got the call and interviewed and was offered a job. I took it, having no idea what I was really doing but knowing that I was just going to go and see where it took me.

    A year later, I have never been happier. Financially more stable and emotionally more connected.

    Sometimes giving it to the universe helps to guide you!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way! I mean, I know that I want to be a writer first and foremost, but, at the same time, I've had thoughts of going to law school, opening a business, and the list (literally) goes on and on. I like to believe that as humans we have the right to more than one passion and God willing we'll have enough time on this earth to fulfill those passions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel like you have to do just one thing. Give yourself the opportunity to try different things, finish up your AA, explore. There's nothing wrong with not knowing and there's nothing wrong with changing your mind.

    Bringing some SOC Sunday love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, at least you have ideas! I got...nothin'! The idea of being self employed is awesome but I usually feel that it costs money. Money that I don't have. Just see where all of these ideas takes you. Of course you can't go wrong with going to school. It's always self enrichment if nothing else and it might spur on other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been a "grown up" for many years and I still have a string of "what I do's" after my name. None of which relate to what I majored in during my college years, by the way...

    Not necessarily what you wanted to hear, I know... but my thoughts are simple. Enjoy the road, whichever road you take. Stay present to it... simply present and joy will unfold before you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often feel like this, too. One of the coolest things about being in this stage, though, is that you are continually exposed to new and different things. And that one perfect thing (if it exists) may find its way right to you!

    If it doesn't, don't sweat it thought. Ever heard the phrase "A Jack of all trades, and a master of none?" It's not necessarily a bad thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I have always thought that people who had no clue what they wanted to be when they grow up have it the best. They can never really be disappointed with where they are, because they know that it is only as permanent as they make it. I have decided to life my life this way, rolling with the punches, and I couldn't be happier. Currently, I am a student and SAHM by week, and a retail team member by weekend. Retail isn't really my idea of a great job, but it pays for health insurance while I get to do all of the other things I love!

    Speaking of jobs, I've been trying to think of something random I could do, too. One of my most recent ideas is here: http://tabithakristine.blogspot.com/2011/06/random.html

    Good luck finding your niche! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this is your blog but I just had to share a post with you. I'm probably older and much further along in my life/career/whatever. I struggled the same way you are and here's what it boiled down to for me:

    http://allthingsfadra.com/2010/11/my-midlife-awakening/

    ReplyDelete