Thursday, October 21, 2010

Friends vs. Family

I have the hardest time in the world trying to decide whether or not to spend time with friends when my family is also doing things as well. Firefighter doesn't have the same strong family connection to his family that I have with mine. They have never been close. It breaks my heart too, because family is sooo important. 

Firefighter wants to go out and about this Sunday and get our Halloween costumes, but my mom's friend is in town and they are going to Cheesecake Factory, along with my sister. And while part of me feels obligated to go, mainly because of my mother, I don't think I really want to go. Sadly, I do not care for her friend very much at all. 

I seem to run into this moral dilemma quite frequently. Firefighter is closer to his friends then to his family, so I in turn have started spending more time with our friends then my family. And I get teased about it by my family as well. They refer to me as the gypsy or the social butterfly. I laugh it off, but at times it bothers me. I want to spend time with my family but I also want to do things with my friends as well. I have never really been popular or had my presence requested by those outside of my family, so it's nice in a way. But then I feel like I am letting my family down. I hate feeling like I am in this tug of war. 

Generally I try to stick with the rule that whatever event or happening I hear about or am invited to first that is the function I will attend.

OY!! The guilt....  

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that way??? 

1 comment:

  1. Many people feel this same way you do. Is it best to just look at each situation separately and decide well, which moment / event is more likely to happen again. going to the cheesecake factory with your mom's friend, may not happen again as likely as hanging out with friends who live in the same state as you.

    But there are many who struggle with this same issue. Which is a bad thing; you just hope all involved are OK with the end decision. That is when it becomes harder. when you know comments will be made because you chose to do one thing over another, or to go with these people and not these.

    Nice thought-provoking comment.

    ReplyDelete