Thursday, September 9, 2010

decisions decisions

Firefighter and I went down to North Port a few weeks ago and looked at a house, and I use the term looked loosely. We pulled up to the house, parked in the driveway and walked around the house. We got a nice look inside, from the porch. It's a very nice house. It's a large house. There is no one in the back, on either side, or directly across the street from the house, except for the mailbox, which is weird, Anyway - the house is 4 bedroom (a requirement for Firefighter), a DISHWASHER, 2 bathroom and is approximately 2500 square feet with a 2 car garage and is ONLY $89,900... Nice house right?!!? Even nicer price!!!! Well there is a hitch. It has the Chinese drywall. NOT GOOD!!!  From Wikipedia : 

The 2009 Chinese drywall controversy is a health and safety issue involving defective drywall manufactured in China and imported by the United States starting in 2001. Laboratory tests of samples for volatile chemicals have identified emissions of the sulfurous gases carbon disulfidecarbonyl sulfide, and hydrogen sulfide. These emissions, which have the odor of rotten eggs, worsen as temperature and humidity rise and cause copper surfaces to turn black and powdery, a chemical process indicative of reaction with hydrogen sulfide. Copper pipes, wiring, and air conditioner coils are affected, as well as silver jewelry. Homeowners have reported respiratory tract infectionssinus problems and nosebleeds.

Having said that, the amount of work will be extensive. We would have to remove the drywall, plumbing and electrical... So basically EVERYTHING!!!! Not only would it be additional money, but contractors would be involved and all that... I am nervous about finding people that I can trust to work on a house. People get screwed by contractors all the time. 

Needless to say, I am hesitant. I am nervous! Why shouldn't I be?!?! It's an undertaking! I am nervous about the financial situation, I am nervous about taking on the huge responsibility of owing my own house... just thinking about that scares me and I begin to feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. I have been the driving force to get out of the house we are in and now I am the one pulling back. I guess I would be more confident if Firefighter was the driving force. It would make me more confident. I know that he is now on board, but he wasn't for a while and I just hope that we are making a wise decision, whatever house we get. Then there is the job factor to take into consideration. We would be living 30-45 mins away from where we work. If I liked my job that wouldn't be an issue. We LIVE in where we live now... and before we would move there are a lot of things to take into consideration. ALL of our friends are basically located here, my family is here, life is basically here... is it wise to reside where you do not necessarily LIVE?!? OY!!!! This is something I can't seem to get off my mind. It's driving me crazy. I feel like there are a lot of things that we would have to sacrifice and I just want to make sure the reward is worth the sacrifice.  And I have a feeling I may need to get a new car soon.... OY! It never ends... And I think deep down I am pulling back on this because I know Firefighter wanted to wait until he got a job job, but I think he know gets that we have to get out of the house his parents are "renting" to us. 

We still don't even know that we could afford this house. HA HA!!!!! My dad has a contractor already lined up to give me an estimate... I was like slow down papa.... moving a little too fast, let's see if we can afford the house, and get into the house and then we will go from there. 

This isn't the only house out there, but it seems to be most of the things that we want. How do you not take it into consideration?? 

There is just SO much to think about! In the same breath, I get excited thinking about the life we could create down there and the home we could create together and that almost makes it all feel worth it. 

I know I haven't exactly been the queen of positivity and fun things on here lately, but sometimes unleashing on here and getting all my thoughts out help me to think more clearly. 

1 comment:

  1. A huge consideration for us on a house was the work commute. Commuting NEVER felt worth it to us so we ended up in one area when we originally were intending to be in another.

    ReplyDelete