Friday, July 23, 2010

Movie Review: World Trade Center

September 11, 2001 changed the world for all of us. I am sure we can all remember where we were when we heard the news. I was home, living with my parents, watching  TV. Dad had just returned from work and Firefighter was sleeping on the couch in the other room. We had on the news when the 2nd plane hit. I remember thinking, this is like a movie not reality. 

World Trade Center is told from the angle of 2 port authority police officers Nichloas Cage, who plays John McCloughlin, and Michael Pena, who plays Will Jimeno, who were trapped in Trade Center building 5. They were enroute to building 1 when one of the towers collapsed and caused the Trade Center building 5 to crumble and trap them and their crew. They were the only 2 our of their 5 man crew that made it out of the collapse alive. It wasn't certain how many hours they were down there, but it was a very long time.  The other tower collapsed while they were trapped which sent fire balls shooting past Jimeno's head and in fact striking his elbow. (Dying in a fire scares me to death) McLoughlin was buried deeper then Jimeno. Through out their time down there the movie goes back and forth to their families and the torture they went through waiting and watching and knowing that there isn't anything they can do.

This is not a movie to really critique. It's not made for entertainment. It's made to inform us what these police officers went through. It's their point of view. One thing I had to keep reminding myself while watching this movie was that it was a true story. You can't really sit there and think, "Oh, he'll make it", or "This is totally not believable", because it actually happened. It's amazing to watch the rescue men endanger their own lives to save those of others, complete strangers. The efforts that were expended to rescue these two men was amazing.

I have to say that this movie is not what I expected. I am not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It was torture to watch it. To see these two men just sitting their waiting and making their peace with God and in their own ways saying goodbye to their wives and families, not knowing if they would be rescued and if they would, when it would happen.   

Officers Jimeno and McLoughlin were 2 of the 20 survivors pulled from the rubble. They were numbers 18 and 19.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this movie. I love Nicolas Cage. I felt it was a great portrayal to give us an idea of what that was like. It was very sad!!

    ReplyDelete