Monday, June 28, 2010

Homebody or Social Butterfly? Can you be both?

I am a homebody. Once I get home from work, I am home, generally speaking. Firefighter (formerly lovingly referred to as A) has become quite the social butterfly lately. Every chance he gets he goes out or wants to go out. He made himself a promise, that once he was done with paramedic school, he would go out as much as he could because he had to sacrifice so much last year. It's true...last year was a bit rough for him, he never really got to do anything. He basically stopped all extra curricular activities, i.e. bowling, golfing, etc. Now that he is done with school, he is the king of socializing. It really bothers me that he feels the need to go out so much. He never seems to want to stop, to catch his breath to just stay home and relax. Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed being more social and I have really enjoyed having some kind of a life, but there are days when I want to just stay home and relax. It seems like since our friend, Engineer's girlfriend ,Bartender started working at a bar that is close to us, Firefighter goes there whenever Engineer is there visiting her. I don't care that he goes, but then he spends money. And it seems like we are up Engineer and Bartender's behinds every weekend. 


See Firefighter is not currently working as a firefighter right now, he is a movie theatrer manager. And up until recently he had Saturdays off. Then after talking to Engineer about being about to go out on Engineer's dad's boat on Sundays, Firefighter decided to take Sundays off. This was not something that pleased me. Saturdays used to be OUR days. We would go to lunch, run errands or just hang out. Now we hardly do anything alone together. Granted, I get that we are together when we are hanging out with Engineer and Bartender, but it's very rarely just us anymore. And deep down I had a feeling that this was going to happen when he switched his day off. The only silver lining is that now, he can attend my family's events that we have on Sundays. 


I am not saying that I want to stop the socializing and return to the life of a permanent homebody. I feel like we finally have some kind of life and I am grateful for that. I am grateful that we are embracing life and not just watching it pass us by, but there needs to be some sort of balance. We need to be able to be both. Is that too much too ask??

No comments:

Post a Comment