Saturday, April 10, 2010

Movie Review: "Up in the Air"

I don't get out to the movie theatre much. Considering that A is a manager at a movie theatre, it's weird, you would think. But he is always there so he never wants to watch movies there after work and I can't blame him. That is where we met as well... awwwww....

So about a week ago we signed up for Netflix. It's awesome. We can stream certain movies/tv shows and still get DVDs in the mail. Our first DVD was "Up in the Air" with George Clooney, Vera Famiglia, Anna Kendrick (TWILIGHT) and Jason Bateman. All in all it was a pretty good movie. The story line was not something that you hear of often and it was creative. I enjoy George Clooney as an actor and thought he did a great job. And I enjoyed his character. I became attached and started to care about what happened to him in the movie. I think that is a sign of a good story line, when you become invested. The movie ended and I was like... I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT DARN IT!!! George Clooney's character is a lonely man, by choice. He travels almost daily for his job and when that is threatened, by Anna Kendrik, he naturally, becomes afraid. He will have to create an actual life for himself and that scared him. He didn't know how to be connected to people and how to be there for them. It's amazing to me that there are people out there that are like that and prefer to live in a disconnected existence. Especially in this day and age when we are almost TOO connected with each other.... Facebook, Twitter... It goes on and on. What happens next is normal, curve balls are thrown and he starts to change his way of thinking, his way of wanting to exist.
Anna Kendrik did a great job as well in the movie. She is quite the little actress. For being so young she played a rigged and uptight girl rather well. She was almost cold. She left me detached and not so in favor of her. Her character portrays how I feel a lot of the young population is becoming today...cold, distant and detached. While Facebook and email are great, there is something special and heartwarming about actual hand written letters or meeting in person.

Overall it's a really good movie. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.

** On a side note, perhaps now that we have netflix, I will start posting movie reviews. That would be exciting for me I think. Next up is "Tron", a movie for A that I will not be partaking in watching. After that I believe that I have "Up" scheduled to come. I love Disney movies. Woo hoo... I am excited!**


2 comments:

  1. I don't know, I didn't like the unhappy ending. Or rather, it seemed rather down to me. It upset me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the way it ended either, but the story was good and well acted I thought.

    ReplyDelete