Thursday, April 29, 2010

Movie Review: The Time Traveler's Wife

I am not sure how to start this post. I watched this movie last night, finally. I have been wanting to for a while now because I read the book first. (I am one of those people) Anyway I have to say that I wasn't as impressed as I was hoping. I love Rachel McAdams, she is fabulous in everything that I have seen her in and she is truly a versatile actress. Eric Bana was great in the movie as well. I have nothing negative to say about the acting, my issue is with the screenplay I guess, and perhaps the directing. I know they only have 2 hours to cover a lot of things, and there were some things that they neglected from the book, that I thought would have been addressed in the movie, either that or it was clear that the book would have been fine without those parts as well. I am not going to lie, there were times when I was reading the book and thinking to myself, why is this going on? and will it ever end?? I hate to admit it, but it's the truth. But I digress, I am reviewing the movie, not the book!

The movie seemed to take off rather quickly. I get that they have a short amount of time to hook us and cover all the things in the book, it just felt a little rushed to me. Sadly, I had almost no trouble getting up at times and walking around while the movie continued to play. The chemistry between McAdams and Bana was at times palpable. There were moments when he was kissing her and I felt it! They were a believable couple, although not as memorable as Allie and Noah from The Notebook (tear jerker!!!!!!!!). I wouldn't consider them a classic couple.

Overall, I really enjoyed the premise of the book turned blockbuster movie. The concept of time travel has always been a winner for people, I think. I believe deep down we all wish we could travel through time or back in time to right wrongs or see what happens. I wouldn't want it to be the Henry has it, where you leave when you don't want to and land someplace naked and not knowing where you are. I would prefer to be able to control where I went, when I went and how long I stayed.

It was a good movie, but I can't decide if it was better then the book... hmm... head scratcher!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to see this and I need to remind hubby to put it in the Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda want to see it again now. I think I felt like you felt when I was watching it, I wasn't sure how I felt about the movie - I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. They changed so much of the book by removing such big portions. I dunno. I love Rachel McAdams tho.

    ReplyDelete