Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Movie Review: Avatar

Let me preface this with saying that I initially had NO interest in seeing this movie. I am not really a Sci-Fi person. Not to mention that the hype around it made it less appealing to me. Having said that I have to say that it was a very good movie. I was also able to follow the story line and not ask too many questions, which I know "A" appreciated.

Summary provided by www.imdb.com:
When his brother is killed in a robbery, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place in a mission on the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge's intentions of driving off the native humanoid "Na'vi" in order to mine for the precious material scattered throughout their rich woodland. In exchange for the spinal surgery that will fix his legs, Jake gathers intel for the cooperating military unit spearheaded by gung-ho Colonel Quaritch, while simultaneously attempting to infiltrate the Na'vi people with the use of an "avatar" identity. While Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel moves forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand - and fight back in an epic battle for the fate of Pandora.

Movies like this are hard to judge since we aren't seeing the actors don't "act" too much on screen. However, Sam Worthington did a great job, as did Sigourney Weaver. The characters were very believable and I truly cared about them. "A" really liked the General in the movie. Some of his lines were hilarious, I will say that, however he was a mean S.O.B. And Giovanni Ribisi did a good job portraying good ol' American greed and sense of entitlement. The story line and concept were very good as well, and as I mentioned before not too hard for me to follow.
There were a few things that I saw coming, but I didn't care. I didn't get all wrapped up in the story line per say, I was engulfed with the visual effects. I did become attached to the characters and especially the natives to Pandora, the Na'vi. They are beautiful creatures, both in body and in spirit. I don't care for how Americans were portrayed in the film as being greedy and controlling, but unfortunately that is how we are viewed by a lot of countries.

The ending was sweet, and obvious, but not in a bad way. It was the only way, I feel, for the movie to end. It was the right way to end the movie. There was closure. Too often there are movies that I watch that I feel there is no closure for the characters, and I realize at times that is on purpose...there will be a sequel, but there are other times when you are left with a cliffhanger and no follow up, BIG pet peeve! But I digress.... It was a happy ending, and I love happy endings (*smile).

"A" was INSISTENT on watching this on Blue Ray. He refused to watch it any other way. I can totally see why. The graphics were AWESOME!!!! Blue ray, accompanied with the HD LCD 42" 1080i TV that we have made it a great picture. And hats off to the computer graphics people... the graphics were AWESOME!!!!! I can't get the graphics out of my memory. I was in absolute and complete awe of them. The visual concepts of the movie and the digital landscape were so bewildering and captivating to me. The creativity and imagination that went into this is to be admired.



No comments:

Post a Comment